Top 6 Challenges in Cloud Migration And how we can overcome them?
Hardware, software, and additional infrastructure were the essentials for any business in the yesteryears. But, since the inception of cloud technology, more and more companies are migrating all its business into the cloud. It is reliable, secured, efficient, and significantly improve the business situation in any uncertain case, like the one we all are facing now, COVID-19.
● Are you an entrepreneur who is interested in migrating your business to the cloud? Let us assume that your company is migrating to the S4 HANA Cloud solution, and it is S4 HANA Migration!
● Before you go for this long jump of S4 HANA Migration, we recommend you to please check the challenges we have shared from our experience that you will face while migrating.
● Also, we have mentioned a solution to how you can overcome the challenges you will face.
Top 6 challenges in Cloud Migration
● Have a proper strategy in place
● Every one of us knows that before migrating to any new technology which here we have considered S4 HANA Migration for our understanding, there is a need for a proper strategy in place to transfer to new technology swiftly.
● Planning a strategy before moving to the cloud is also essential.
● You need to keep in mind things like cost it will incur, additional employees you will have to hire, and get an estimated time to migrate to the new technology.
● You might feel why we have asked for estimated time, as along with the migration, you need to take care of your existing clients and their database.
● Along with migration, you need to make sure that there is no data loss.
● Breakdown your whole strategy of migration in small stages
● It is almost next to impossible to migrate whole data from the present infrastructure to the cloud.
● You need to divide the whole plan into small stages first.
● While migrating to the cloud, the first step is to transfer the data.
● So first decide on non-essential data that can you can transfer. So that there is no data loss of essential data in case if it happens.
● Your staff, while migrating the non-essential data, will learn the whole process. They will then have all the knowledge and strategies which they will utilize while transferring relevant data.
● This staging process will lead to the proper transfer without losing any business or critical data of the client.
● Budget for cloud migration
● It is true that once the migration of data to the cloud infrastructure completes, it will be very cheap to maintain the data and utilize the data for various purposes.
● But, while we are in the process of migrating, it becomes very costly for organizations first to transfer the data to the cloud infrastructure.
● Along with the transfer cost, the cost to train the employees who will further use and maintain the data also is additional cost companies need to pay.
● You need to make sure that the data you are transferring is compatible with the cloud. In case, if there is a need to rewrite, please do so. Organizations need to add this rewriting cost as well while migrating to the cloud.
● Security issues
● We have seen that companies are worried about the security of their data that is on the cloud.
● We recommend you to purchase the cloud infrastructure services from a reliable source.
● The party needs to be trustworthy as you are transferring all your essential and business-centric data. Leakage will create a wrong impression about you and your services.
● You need to be very sure about where the data will be stored, how the incoming and outgoing data will be encrypted, and the regulations provider is compliant with.
● These measures will keep your data secured and in safe hands.
● Regular employee training
● When an organization introduces a new technology in use (S4 HANA Cloud), they need to make sure that all the employees who will work on the technology are with all the information and knowledge required to work.
● Employees will need some time to get the speed in working with the new technology. They need to get adjusted to the latest technology.
● The cloud technology often brings in new updates, so employees need regular training to understand the changes made in the latest update and get used to it.
● Never decide fast on a vendor for the cloud infrastructure.
● Once your data migrates to the cloud infrastructure, which in our case we have assumed as S4 HANA Migration, it is not possible to switch back to old infrastructure.
● Even it is hectic and hard to switch to some other vendor providing the same services.
● So before finalizing on any vendor, please check all the services provided by the vendor.
● Also, we recommend entering into a service-level agreement (SLA) with the vendor to avoid any miscommunication.
Please see to it that you make a proper strategy before moving for any migration. Along with a plan, take care of your business-centric and compliance specific data while migrating to the cloud. And make sure you have a backup of your data to tackle any data loss.