Ultimate Guide to Mobile App Design- 10 Quick UI UX Tips
With growing technology, the use of Android devices has tremendously grown. There are humongous numbers of smartphone users today. You can definitely find one smartphone with each individual these days. That is where our technology is heading us. We are trying to get things done at your fingertips. For everything and every use, there is an App provided on our device. And this drastic change from manual to smartphone services can be noticed only over two years of phase from 2016 to 2019.
There are millions of apps in our Google Play store as well as the App store. There are so many apps for a similar function or service. Among the ocean of apps, it is very hard to identify the most suitable app for your use. Generally, we judge using the given ratings and reviews and sometimes we try and we find it out. But, that is just a different story.
What exactly a user wants in the mobile app is the App design. The user interface needs to connective and convenient. Not only that, but there are several milestones to cover for creating a good mobile app. So, we can say that creating a Mobile app is not an easy task.
Among the several milestones, some of the very quick and basic tips can be really helpful for building the perfect app. We are providing you with 10 quick UI UX Tips that can ultimately guide you to build the best app you can.
App navigation is a basic and important part of a Mobile. It needs to be paid real attention over. It should not be complicated for the user and he can easily understand what he wants and where he can get them.
Label your icons quite clearly and avoid jargons or any other things which may mislead or make your users confused. Keep the Back button on every screen to help them navigate back to the previous page. Make sure you keep the Home button as well to help them navigate back to the main page directly.
- Do not keep any navigation button hidden or not provided.
- Follow the same icon and procedure to navigate back from every page. That will make it easier for all users.
- For a smoother functioning and experience of the user, you can keep the tab bar for iOS and Navigation Drawer for Android.
It is very crucial to keep the UI of your app free from any form of clutter. A complicated work that makes the UI look super busy and crowded, can actually ruin things for you. When you use too many buttons, items and images that actually piss off the user more and make them leave your app. That is where you have to work on.
Keep your pages concise and user-friendly. Keep main icons over the Home page itself to guide them to directly navigate into their business. It needs to be simple and super flexible. That is how you will clearly deliver the right message you wanted to convey your audience.
If you actually notice, mobile screens have smaller display and laptops have huge screens than mobile screens. Seeing too many clutters like images, ads, buttons the user can be diverted from its focus
- Keep designs very simple and inconspicuous. That will help your app to look sorted and organized. The simpler it is, the better it gets. But, that doesn’t mean you will take things very lightly. The design should be a proper one with the perfection in the organization of every button according to the user demand.
- Do not crowd up too many things over a single screen. Keep just one or probably two things or actions over one screen and the rest over the next pages. It helps to understand that better.
- Just avoid unnecessary contents. Keep it concrete. Use single lines to express headlines clearly. Then follow it up with a precise description.
- Use same colors over all pages and buttons. Randomly switching between colors can confuse them.
Make The Design Consistent
As we discussed above, you need to keep all the pages quite consistent. The buttons, images, interface design, colors and other stuff needs to be exactly the same all over. Disturbing the balance in uniformity can be a serious threat to your Application. From consistency, you need to follow these words is a fundamental principle of design. Consistency eliminates confusion. Maintaining an overall consistent appearance throughout an app is essential. Regarding the mobile app, consistency means a good visual uniformity all over it.
Well, you need to be sure for the functional consistency as well. The buttons and other items should operate in the same way all over.
- Follow the platform guidelines throughout the designing of the App.
- For iOS, follow the respective iOS guidelines. There is Apple’s personal interface that is abided to several rules and guidelines. So, if you are designing it for Apple, follow the proper guidelines before you get started. For rest platforms, there are native guidelines that you need to take care of. That will stop creating any future friction in the OS of the device.
- Avoid copying the patterns or contents from other websites. Your app needs to be a unique one to grab attention. But, if you copy else’s ideas, it will not be a good option for a longer run. Plan yourself for your users and arrange the buttons and other functional elements by yourself than carrying it cover from other App.
- Make sure the external features are uniform and share similar characters and functioning throughout. This guides your users to make smooth navigation over the app.
Finger Friendly Tap Targets
Keep enough space for tap targets like buttons or icons. If the button is too tiny then they sometimes can get tapped for the wrong button.
- Keep a decent tap space of about 10 x 14mm for a smooth touch. Don’t keep it lesser than this size.
- Keep a proper spacing between every two taps to avoid touching the wrong target.
Follow The Thumb Zone
Gradually the screen size is increasing. The bigger the phone the difficult it gets to hold it in one hand and operate. Therefore, the mobile apps should not just focus on the touch, taps, and movement of fingers over it but also over the space provided for the operation.
Bigger the phone gets, the difficult it gets to operate. So, plan your navigational and thumb space accordingly.
Follow Os Design Guidelines
You must always check for the guidelines to avoid any navigational errors or problem in the content layout. Follow the design conventions for buttons, icons, images, icons, etc. Keep everything at par to the points mentioned in that book. There are different guidelines for each Android phone OS. You have to study them all and then, design an app that works perfectly smoothly.
Take Accessibility Into Account
Keep your App accessible to all types of users. Do not restrict it by taking too harsh measures because this will discourage consumers to join you. Make the basic layout at the reach of everyone. Gradually, you can keep on adding stuff into it.
Design a smart product that can help all types of people like those with poor vision, speaking and hearing impairments. People with disabilities should be able to operate over your app. That will be the real success of this.
- Use the most simple language and words on the App.
- Focus on the priority of things. Organize icons and services over the App according to the priority needs of the user.
- Choose proper colors for attracting the viewer. Do not make it too loud.
UI Design Buttons
Use comprehensive and familiar UI designs that are generally used in other apps. However, work on how to organize them better than the rest. Keep your UI design so strong and elegant that it attracts the user to your app when there are 10 similar kinds of Apps around.
Do not put creativity into it. Putting fancy shapes and colors can make the App look like a solid flop. Do keep it classy and fancy, but never make it loud.
- Keep proper spacing between buttons.
- Select the right kind of App design and UI choice for the overall UI design.
- Fix the buttons at the right place where the user can see it easily.
- Use Navigation Icons in every place to go back and forth.
Using the right kind of fonts, texts colors and alignments can look easy. But it is actually difficult. Mobile topography largely depends on how smartphones these days look and operate. For big screen phones, small texts can be an unpleasant taste.
Therefore, proper testing and applying different font styles, spacing and alignments to the texts can take a little more time than you would expect it to. But, in the end, you should check if the mobile content is visible and readable.
- Font size should be visible
- Don’t color needs to be pleasing.
- Choose the right kind of don’t that goes better with your interface.
- Do not use more than 2 or 3 fonts.
Reduce User Inputs
After making the optimum topographical choice, it is crucial to focus on the other aspects of the app like the user input.
- Your app must ask minimum Information to the users.
- Keep the forms as short as possible.
- Supply the input mask. Use the field masking techniques to format the inputted info. Once any user is focusing on the area, the mask appears. It will easily help to notice errors.
- Try auto-complete features that help you to fill out any paperwork of the registration form.
- Keep geolocations active to track the user location and help in filling up their form faster.
- Allow a few keystrokes to guide them to pre-fill every credential.
- It is annoying for many users to go back after submitting, just to correct some mistakes in the forms. Allow immediate field value checking when the user inputs the data.